Friday, July 17, 2015

Misunderstanding

Isn't it funny how easily we can misunderstand each other?

One hot summer day, Daddy was on the porch and I heard him yell in an urgent voice, "Karen, get me ice water!"

I must have been about 6 years old. As quickly as I could, I opened the freezer, loosened the cubes from the metal ice tray by running it under warm water, climbed up and got a glass out of the cabinet, and filled it with ice and water.

The whole time, Daddy was saying, "Hurry up?"

"Wow, he's really thirsty!" I was thinking.

I rushed the ice water out to him, and he smiled and shook his head. A wasp buzzed around him as he asked again, "Karen, get the fly swatter."

5 comments :

Mildred said...

LOL!!!


Fly swatter sounded like "flice wadder" before I learned to spell. It's a wonder we do as well as we do!!!

Theresa said...

Oh that's funny:). Have a blessed weekend, I think we will need ice water AND fly swatters around here:). Hugs

Nonnie said...

But isn't that how we talk sometimes? That's funny. When my great-grandma died when I was 5, I thought she had a hardatack.

L. D. said...

It does happen when the listener thinks they know what was said and the speaker is not very clear with their verbals. My wife and I do have a good laugh once in a while when both of us are not hearing as well as we use to.

Red Rose Alley said...

aahh, what a cute story. We do the silliest things when we are six.
I gave my dad a lolli pop for Father's Day one year, and I had licked
most of it by the time I gave it to him. :~)

~Sheri