Saturday, July 4, 2015

Good Old Summertime!

Recalling favorite summertime memories:

ICE CREAM! We used to have ice cream "suppers" after church some Sunday nights and every family would bring a hand-cranked freezer of a different flavor of ice cream. I like chocolate.

Screened Porch! Sitting on the porch glider during an afternoon rainstorm with the wind blowing a cool mist through the screen.

Lightning Bugs! Catching the little guys and putting them in a mason jar with holes punched in the lid...then watching them go free when Mother called us in the house.

It's the simple joys that we remember all our lives.

7 comments :

L. D. said...

The are warm wonderful memories. Our neighborhood of farm families would do the same as everyone brought ice cream freezers, wooden ones, and chocolate cake. We are having ladybugs right now and the dog and I enjoy them. Well Barney probably really doesn't care that much but I do.

Mildred said...

It sure is. Do you remember making bracelets out of clover?

Nonnie said...

Those were good times. I was remembering the homemade ice cream and the croquet games. We had so much fun, didn't we? I don't see too many fireflies these days, but I did see some just the other night.

Karen said...

Yes, I remember the clover bracelets and also croquet games, and looking for shapes in the clouds.

Arlene said...

Sounds much like my childhood as well Karen. And I remember the words to the song as well!!lol

Theresa said...

Simple joys and memories are the best:) We also had ice cream suppers after Church and Bible School! I just saw my first lightening bugs of the Summer:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Daisy said...

These are some very sweet summer memories. I can remember playing freeze tag and kickball with my siblings and neighbors. :) I hope you had a nice 4th of July.