Thursday, March 26, 2015

Suppertime

When I was growing up in Georgia, as the weather got warmer, my sister and I often sat on the screened porch playing while Mother cooked supper. It smelled so good!

Mother was an excellent cook and she made everything the old fashioned way. I can picture her cracking open the shell of a coconut, grating it, mixing the batter by hand, and working all afternoon to surprise Daddy with a fresh coconut cake. Sometimes we'd peel potatoes for her pan fries, help string beans, shell fresh peas, or cut corn off the cob.

I remember that one of Mother's favorite old hymns was, "Come Home, It's Suppertime". and we might sing it as we washed the supper dishes.

What is your favorite suppertime meal?

7 comments :

Daisy said...

What sweet memories these are! I think my favorite is baked chicken with mashed potatoes and fresh green beans from the garden.

Ginny said...

Oh my goodness, she used a fresh coconut for her coconut cake?! In these days, she would have been known as a healthy gourmet cook. Do you ever make any of her recipes?

L. D. said...

I remember the song being sung on one of the Gaither shows. I learned to cook by being around and assisting my mom. Cooking for Dad and four boys was a lot of cooking to keep everyone full. Good memories you have shared.

NanaDiana said...

When I think of my mother cooking something it is always a big fried chicken dinner with big fluffy biscuits and gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and beets for my father. lol We ALWAYS had gingerbread on the table because Father loved it.

Thanks for popping by today and leaving me a comment. I'm replying here because you don't come thru with an email addy anymore...thanks to blogger.

You should have stepped up to that lady with the see-thru top and said, "Pardon me, Miss. Your boobs are showing"....lol xo Diana

CatTales said...

I loved mama's fried okra best of all! Remember how the corn would get all over the windows above the kitchen sink when we would cut it off the cobb??

Sandra said...

my child hood was just like yours, almost exactly and Come Home, it's suppertime was one of MY favorites. back then my favorite supper from mother was fried pork chops, tomato gravy on rice and potato salad. and lemon meringue pie... id all the things you said you did, but i dug the potatoes first, picked the beans and peas and shucked the corn.. also in GA and the same thing in KY.

Patsy said...

Funny but breakfast is my favorite meal now.

Blog Archive