Saturday, March 21, 2015

My First Job


1967: THE REFECTORY at Georgia State University. We sold prepackaged sandwiches, snacks and drinks to the students at what was then a commuter college in downtown Atlanta near the Capitol.

My job was to pry off the soft drink bottles' metal lids and hand them to our customers. One day, I opened a Dr Pepper by mistake, and so I set the metal lid back on and put it back in the cooler. The next customer ordered a Dr. Pepper. Before I could remove the lid, he grabbed it and said, "I'm late for music class. I'll take it with me." He then shoved the bottle upside down in his pants pocket and ran.

He could have won the prize for the angriest customer of the year. Yes, it was my fault that his shiny leather penny loafers were full of the "friendly pepper upper"!

Later, I arrived early for choir rehearsal in the auditorium of the school of music, and there was that customer, up on stage singing a German aria. He had the richest baritone voice I'd ever heard. We got into a conversation that revealed that he and his wife were looking for a church and our church was looking for a minister of music. Soon Harlan and Sharon became a beloved part of our church family.

God truly can work all things together for good - even the stickiest messes!

8 comments :

Theresa said...

So true! What an interesting way to minister:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

CatTales said...

What a great story. They were a sweet couple!

Lady Jane said...

That is such a nice story. Yes God does work things out doesn't he. Your Church received a Minister of music and you made wonderful friends to boot.

Ginny said...

Oh my goodness, what a story! And a huge surprise ending. I just read an article about a lady celebrating her 104th birthday. She credits her long life to drinking three Dr. Peppers a day! I hardly think that is the reason, but it is funny!

Dorothy said...

Interesting post! It gave me my 'Chuckle of the Day'!

L. D. said...

I remember an apple corer broke off into an apple. One of the students I was with tried to sell the apple to a customer at a ballgame. They sure chewed me out for it. Your story is wonderful and your intentions were so pure not to waste a product. The rest of the story is great to hear.

Arlene said...

Oh my, how God works things out!! I am visiting from Cat Tales. Mildred and I have been blog friends for quite a while. I am a Georgia girl as well, Chatsworth is my hometown. I went to school in Atlanta at Georgia Baptist School of Nursing. I have enjoyed visiting with you!!

Unknown said...

Interesting comments, especially about working in The Refectory at Georgia State. I also worked there from about 1966-67.

Blog Archive