Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Shoe Repair Shop

In the 1950's, up Main Street from my grandparents' house was a shoe repair shop. It was a tiny building with a coal heater. The retired men would gather there in winter and talk about the latest news or tales of days gone by.

Grandmother would send me up to the shoe shop to fetch Grandpa when she had dinner ready. "Dinner-time" was exactly noon every single day, but Grandpa needed a reminder to tear himself away from the lively talk at the shoe shop.

I remember how the wooden floor would creak under my feet, the smells of leather and shoe polish, the warmth of the fire, the row of shoes lined up on the shelf, and the row of men crowded onto a wooden bench.

Looking back, I am amazed at how the owner welcomed so many guests as he was busy working. He didn't just fix an old pair of shoes; he would clean and shine them and until they looked like new. He greeted young and old as if they were his most important customer.

I am so thankful that in our Heavenly Father's eyes, all are welcome and He treats each of us is His favorite

6 comments :

Daisy said...

What a lovely memory, Karen. I liked the way you described the shoe repair shop.

Joy said...

What a wonderful story!

Cranberry Morning said...

I remember a similar shoe repair in our town when I was a kid. It was mysterious, dark, but interesting. His place always made me think of the story of the elves and the shoemaker.

Karen said...

I loved the Shoemaker and the Elves, too, and also the story of Shoemaker Martin. When I was young,we wore leather shoes, and they had to be polished! Anybody remember Saddle Oxfords?

L. D. said...

The memories of those places are so great to pull up once in a while. We had a country store that had a bell shake and ring when we walked into the door. I think I would be amazed as to how small that store was as even then when small it was just little tiny walkways.

Dorothy said...

This reminded me of my Uncle, who was a shoemaker and later had a shoe repair shop. You can't find repair shops much now.

Blog Archive