Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Who Is Christ?

A few years back, when I was teaching second grade in public school, a student was writing on a topic of his choice, and he raised his hand and asked me how to spell Christmas. I was breaking it into syllables for him.

"C-H-R-I-S-T," I began.

"That spells 'Christ', " he complained. "I said Christmas."

"Well, Christ is the first part of the word Christmas."

"Who is Christ?" he asked.

"Christmas Day celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ," I told him.

"Well, how old is that baby now?" he asked.

"It has been 2010 years since His birth," I said.

He thought for a minute and came back with, "Well, that's funny! This is the year 2010!"

This whole conversation was initiated by a seven year old's question.

The little boy keenly observed: "It's funny that our date comes from when baby Jesus was born, but in school, we don't even talk about Him!"


6 comments :

Pam Williams said...

Out of the mouth of babes comes truth.

Theresa said...

So true! My Grandchildren go to Private School and they have Bible class, always start out with a prayer at programs and plays, even at the athletic events! Love it! Christ is CHRISTMAS! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Doris said...

Smart kid! The teacher, as well =)
I've been catching up on your posts this morning, Karen. I've not been a good blogger lately .....writing or reading!
Wishing you a wonderful day!

living from glory to glory said...

Dear Karen, Out of the mouths of babes. Profound!!
Loving the ways of His Spirit!
Blessings and Favor for those who sit and ponder and talk of His love and Kingdom!
Always, Roxy

Stephanie said...

Wow, astounding :) Don't you love what kids say and how it's very black and white with them? I am so thankful for the birth of our Savior!

Big hugs!

Cathy said...

That is amazing. Now they are trying to really stop the mention of His name. Christmas!