Friday, November 15, 2013

The Main Thing


As I get older, I look back at the hard times and realize that I grew closer to God during the tough spots, because He proved that He was faithful in the times where I was helplessly dependent on Him. Sometimes I find myself afraid of changes as if I think the future is all up to me!

When I run out of ideas, strength, and abilities, and there is no back-up plan, I'm not in a bad place. I'm in a good place. It is then that God shows Himself strong. His strength is made perfect in our weakness.

"He gives power to the faint and weary and to him who has no might, He increases strength." Isaiah 40:29

Could it be that His sustaining presence through the journey is the "main thing"? I think of the promise God made to Abram when He called him to leave all and journey to his promised land. Was Abram's reward only cattle and sheep, milk and honey, and real estate? Or was it God Himself? "After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, "Fear not, Abram: I AM thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward."

Sometimes when I think I have things figured out, but there seems to be one thing missing... He is the One Thing. The Main Thing.

"Just think! You don't need a thing. You've got it all....He will never give up on you. Never forget that." 1 Corinthians 1:7 Message


5 comments :

Dianna said...

A beautiful background on the blog today, Karen, but an even more beautiful post! Having God as our shield is one thing..having Him for our exceeding great reward is beyond words!

Thank you so much for sharing your heart here today, Karen.

Pam Williams said...

Beautiful photo and beautiful thoughts, Karen. I needed the solace today.

Beth said...

Lovely thoughts today Karen. The photo matches perfectly!

Blackberry Lane said...

Encouraging and uplifting post. Enjoy the weekend.

Lynda said...

So very true. It is during difficult times that I have seen HIM more and grown closer. I wish I had been better at journaling his provisions and answers. The times I did, it was so obvious how HE was working magnificently in my life during those times.

Blog Archive