Friday, October 11, 2013

Pilot Light

My grandparents would turn off the pilot light of their gas heater in the summer. So every Fall, as soon as there was a chill in the air, they would call Daddy to come and light the pilot. At first I could only see a tiny blue flicker, but when they would turn up the heat, I would hear a whoosh and the heat would come up through the floor grate until it was red hot. Before long, the den and kitchen would be toasty warm. When we came in from playing, we would stand over that floor furnace and hold our hands out to warm them.

The pilot light reminds me of God's Holy Spirit that comes to live in our hearts. I know that I was forgiven of my sins and saved when I accepted Christ as a child. All of us who have been forgiven and put our trust in Christ have a flame burning within us, but I want to be available for the Holy Spirit to fan the flame. I want to have the whoosh of being on fire for God in my life, enough so that others will want to draw near and feel the warmth of God's love.


John the Baptizer said, "I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."
Matthew 3:11 ESV



12 comments :

Patsy said...

Your blog shows your flame is real and it is an encouragement to me, and others I am sure.

Karen said...

Thank you, Patsy, and you are an encourager, too!

Blackberry Lane said...

Beautiful analogy. Thanks for sharing the video. Wishing you a good Saturday.

Nonnie said...

Your memories are so very much like mine. I enjoy them because they take me back. Thank you. We are blessed to have Holy Spirit in us.

L. D. said...

This is really a great post. I find it sad that people limit their relationship with God when they don't lean and learn from the Holy Spirit.

living from glory to glory said...

Good Morning! That Misty has an anointed gifting! Loved your story! May we all fan the flame!
Holy Spirit burn bright in my life!
Blessings Sister Always, Roxy

Theresa said...

I have the same memories:) We would all gather around a gas heater in our living room after the pilot light was lit! I have such sweet memories of that old heater! Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

Beth said...

Excellent post Karen!

Daisy said...

Wonderful comparison, Karen. Very nice post!

Lynda said...

Excellent illustration!!! Like you, I want the Lord to burn intensely within me, too. I want others to see HIS light and feel the warmth of His love.

Joy said...

Me too wants to keep the flame burning in me:) have a nice Sunday:)

Dianna said...

Such a beautifully expressed post, Karen! I love the comparison of the physical with the spiritual because word pictures like that have a way of sticking with me, a very visual person.

Blog Archive