Thursday, October 3, 2013

Back to First Grade

When  I was teaching a second grade reading group, I noticed that one little girl had tuned me out. Then when I called on her to answer a question, she had no idea what the lesson was about.

I told her that she and I needed to talk about it at recess. I explained to her that she needed to sit up tall and pay attention because she was going to learn so much this year at reading time.

"Oh," she told me in an unconcerned voice. "I learned to read in First Grade."

Later as I chuckled at her over-confidence, I had to admit that sometimes in living  life, I feel like I have to go back to first grade and learn the same lessons over and over. I just hope that I come out of my "lessons" more willing to listen to the Teacher.

Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment.
Matthew 22:35-38

6 comments :

Daisy said...

Sometimes we all forget what we've been taught and need to listen better and relearn what we once knew. Nice reminder.

I love the heading picture and leaf design on the sides of your blog today. So pretty!

Karen said...

Thank you, Daisy!

Dianna said...

Karen, what a sweet reminder that we need to repeat our lessons in learning what He wants us to remember...and do.

Thanks so much for sharing your story as a reminder!

Beth said...

A very good reminder for us all.

Blackberry Lane said...

We often forget the simplest of lessons.

Denise said...

Wonderful reminder.

Blog Archive