Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Southeastern Fair

photo credit
In autumn, the Southeastern Fair was a big event in Georgia back in the 1950's. 

My great-grandfather, "Papa", really looked forward to the livestock show every year, 
even after he was too old to do much around the farm anymore.

Daddy was driving and I was sitting in the front between him and Papa. We arrived just as the sun was going  down, and the lights of Lakewood Fairgrounds were flickering on.

I was excited about using my own money I'd saved to pay my way into fair, go on the rides, and buy treats. I had run errands to the store for some elderly neighbors, and Papa had given me some silver dollars throughout the year to save for the fair. Suddenly, it occurred to me that I had left my money at home. When I realized that I could not pay to get in the gate, I began to cry, thinking that I would have to sit in the car alone.

Papa put his arm around my shoulders and whispered, "Don't worry. Do you see this secret pocket inside my vest? I will just put you in my pocket!"

Of course, he paid my way into the fair, and he watched as my brother and I rode the Greyhound roller coaster. We even got to see Rin Tin Tin perform!

All these years later, many times I still find myself in a mess of my own making. Yet when I cry to Him, God's Word assures me that He will protect me in a high tower or a rocky fortress, but I like to picture myself tucked into God's vest pocket, near His heart.

7 comments :

Blackberry Lane said...

Sweet memory and a good analogy.

Daisy said...

It's reassuring to know that we are under God's protection. Lovely story. :)

Beth said...

What a beautiful story!

Pam Williams said...

I love this image, Karen! So comforting.
Blessings!
Pam
2 Encourage
In need of encouragement as a writer?
A to Z Devotions for Writers

Denise said...

Such a precious memory.

Esther Joy said...

Our county fair is going on right now, so this caught my eye. What a precious story!

Nonnie said...

Safe in His pocket. I love it. Our state fair will be here soon, too. Great memories of the fair.

Blog Archive