Thursday, December 17, 2015

Sweet Hymn Story

Born on September 2, 1809, Lydia Baxter wrote many songs and poems, but only one hymn that was widely known. Though she was sick and confined to bed much of her life, her home was known as a gathering place for friends who came to her for encouragement.
 

Lydia was fascinated by the meanings of names, but the name that meant everything to her was the name of Jesus.

Whenever she was questioned about her cheery disposition despite her physical difficulties, she'd say, “I have a very special armor. I have the name of Jesus. When the tempter tries to make me blue or despondent, I mention the name of Jesus, and the devil can’t get through to me anymore."


Here is a verse from her hymn

Take the name of Jesus ever
as a shield from every snare.
If temptations 'round you gather,

Breathe that holy name in prayer.

Precious name, O how sweet,
Hope of earth and joy of Heaven.

10 comments :

Denise said...

Lovely.

Andrea said...

Beautiful!!
Blessings,
andrea

Cathy said...

I love that. Sweet blessings ~

Mildred said...

I remember the hymn and was interested in the history behind it. Thank you for sharing with us today.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Karen,
What a wonderful and uplifting post! Whenever the enemy tries to corner me, I too, speak the name of Jesus, and the snake slithers away. I especially like to sing, "Jesus, There's Just Something About That Name." I always feel better.
Thanks for your visit and leaving your nice comment. I pray you have a wonderful July 4th weekend.
I thought for sure I was a follower of your blog, anyway, I am now!

Blessings,
Sandi

Blackberry Lane said...

I love this post. Your header photo and blog background are gorgeous too.

Daisy said...

Nice post! :)

Nonnie said...

That wonderful name!! It sounds like music to my ears, the sweetest name I know.

Mildred said...

These are such precious lyrics, especially in these times.

KathyB. said...

I've never heard that hymn but will look it up. What an inspirational story, what an inspirational woman. Thank-you for sharing this.