Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Gift of Giving

Our parents gave in many ways, and God provided for them in many ways. I think one blessing of tithing and giving is that they were content with what they had. They did not feel the need to go into debt for luxuries. 

Daddy's advice to me when I began to earn a paycheck was, "If you don't have enough extra money to pay cash for something and still pay your bills, leave it in the store and walk away!"

Now, as a grandmother, I wish I could give more to the grandchildren. Looking back, though, I realize that it is not the gift items that I remember. Instead, it is the fun times that our family spent together - setting the table, eating supper together in the kitchen, and singing harmony with Mother while we washed dishes.

Lord, 
I pray for the gifts of giving and contentment.

God’s peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians. 4:7 Amplified

8 comments :

Nonnie said...

The very same here. Those memories of time spent with family are the best gifts. Too many children are lacking in the gift of precious time that sweetens life.

Ceil said...

Hi Karen! I completely agree with your Dad's advice. That's the way my husband and I went about it too. No money? No item. Except for the house and cars, of course :)

Your time with the grandkids is so special. I think they love it more than they even know.
You sound like a really loving Grandparent.
Blessings!
Ceil

Doris said...

I too, wish I could give more. We do what we can with what we have....and time and fun is something we give =)

Bless you, Karen!

Daisy said...

It is so true that we remember good times spent with family much more than actual physical gifts from them. Sweet post, Karen!

Blackberry Lane said...

I'm sure your grandchildren will have sweet, precious memories just like we do. The older I get, the more I realize how the prayers, guidance and support our parents gave us made such a difference in our lives.

Pam Williams said...

Our grandkids just want us to spend time with them--hiking, swimming, creek walking, playing Legos--and none of it costs a cent! Time is the best gift we can give them. Lovely post, Karen.
Blessings!
Pam
2 Encourage
In need of encouragement as a writer?
A to Z Devotions for Writers

Karen said...

My daughter told me the biggest thing I do for the girls is just to listen to them. (They all want to talk at the same time!)

Denise said...

Great advice from your dad.

Blog Archive