Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Gritty Humor for the Southerners


Grits is (are?) a favorite breakfast in the South. I am originally from Georgia, and when I first visited "up north", I could not find grits in the grocery stores or restaurants.

Once, when I went back to Georgia for a visit, I was in a restaurant and overheard the waitress ask the man in the next booth, "Ya'll want grits with your eggs?"

The puzzled man hesitated, "How many gritz-es do I get?"

Another time, Cameron thought it would be funny to order McGrits at a "Yankee" McDonald's.

Last time I could find grits, it was in a small round canister at Wal-Mart. I took my grits out of the cart to set in on the belt, and the bottom of the canister fell out - along with 100,000 grits!

The young cashier glared at me and asked, "You actually EAT this stuff?"

Every chance I get!

11 comments :

Blackberry Lane said...

John and I laugh about how many grits are in a serving!

Nonnie said...

I thought grits were creepy until we visited Italy and had polenta, which I loved. Then, Alton Brown on Good Eats explained that grits and polenta were the same thing and I have been making his cheese grits recipe! Yummy!!

Doris said...

Oh dear, I may have said the same thing....you see, I'm a Yankee and I just can't see what you all see in them ;-)

Hope you have a pleasant evening, Karen! (I know we eat some things southerners can't figure either!)

Karen said...

Of course I wouldn't turn down a nice order of hash browns either!

Denise said...

Thanks for making me smile.

Beth said...

LOL I honestly have tried grits and
I just can't eat it. I think it is truly a southern thing, liking grits. :-)

Lynda said...

I love it when you tell true stories about your life! About grits, - - - I do NOT like them - - was raised in upstate NY. The first time I had them was at our next door neighbor's house in Rhode Island. (My dad was stationed in the Navy there.) The neighbor was from Georgia. She offered them to me. I thought they looked like a small rice - - but definitely found out differently!

Karin said...

There's more for you because I honestly don't care for hot cereal. I would eat porridge - cooked oatmeal - but I would need lots of brown sugar and cream on it and that would defeat the purpose of healthy oatmeal. Haven't eaten carbs for half a year now and feeling much improved! So, I think I have a sensitivity to some of these things.

Busy Bee Suz said...

LOL. I've not met a grit that I didn't love!

Daisy said...

Cute post! I wouldn't want to have to count all those grits! :D

living from glory to glory said...

I did get a chuckle out of this post Karen!!
I do like grits and you do not hear or see them here out West.
Thanks for all the sweet memories of eating them when I was a young woman living in Florida.
Blessings, Roxy

Blog Archive