Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
You have ordained strength,
Because of Your enemies,
That You may silence the enemy and the avenger. Psalm 8:2



When the religious leaders saw the outrageous things Jesus was doing, and heard all the children running and shouting through the Temple, "Hosanna to David's Son!" they were up in arms and took him to task. "Do you hear what these children are saying?"

Jesus said, "Yes, I hear them. And haven't you read in God's Word, 'From the mouths of children and babies I'll furnish a place of praise'?" Matthew 21:15-16

Is there anything sweeter than a baby's laughter or first words, a child's bedtime prayer?

I can still remember my son Caleb's wonderful laugh. Because he was never able to walk, my other children would carry him in their arms as they ran and played basketball in the driveway.

When the ball was going flat one day, Cameron started kicking it around and it made the funniest noise. So Kathren picked him up and ran around the yard kicking the ball as she went and every time she kicked that ball he would just cackle!

I thought of that flat ball when I was reading a quote by Steve Sampson. He wrote that in our minds as believers, we often imagine God too small and satan too big. "Although we must rebuke and resist the devil, we also must acknowledge that he is under the feet of every believer and should only be somebody we kick around. A football-size devil."
 
That helped me put things in perspective. The devil had the wind knocked out of him when Jesus died for our sins, arose from the dead, and ascended to His Father. He is in worse shape than that pitiful basketball and he knows it.

When I was involved in women's prison ministry, Enemy's Camp was the ladies' favorite song, "I went to the enemy's camp and I took back what he stole from me!". They would raise the rafters, drumming on the desktops. When they got to the part, "He's under my feet!" they would start stomping their feet until all the guards would gather smiling and clapping along.


6 comments :

Donalacasa said...

"Confronting Jezebel: Discerning and Defeating the Spirit of Control" sounds like a book that I need to read for some of what I am going through at the present time.

I enjoyed the song.

Blessings!

KathyB. said...

I had never heard that song before. Foot stomping reminder of the truth. I like the perspective, "we imagine God too small and Satan too big" , very true about me. You have a gift of writing about God and His word Karen, that is also encouraging. Thank-you.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

We sing this song in our church. It's a great one!

I remember my son's laughter when he was younger. It still brings a smile to my face!

Great post!

Denise said...

Great song.

Nonnie said...

I love to hear the laughter of our grandkids and the things they have to say. They are totally uninhibited and bold.

living from glory to glory said...

Hi Karen,
I so love that song! We do not sing that often enough! I am saving it to my favorites :)
I do enjoy your words of wisdom.
We do get it turned around sometimes. (Big God and little devil) Thanks!
Blessings, Roxy

Blog Archive