Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Stout and Sturdy!

My grandparents were raised on farms and continued to work hard all their lives, raising chickens and tending a large garden, into their eighties.

Back then, a farmer looked for a wife who was strong and would be a hard worker. So Grandpa probably thought that the adjectives: "stout and sturdy" were a compliment.

When he was in his nineties, and becoming forgetful, our pastor and his wife paid a visit. Grandpa looked the preacher's wife over and congratulated him on finding a wife who was stout and sturdy! Being goodnatured, Ginger smiled and took it in stride!

I thought of her today when I read that the Lord is looking for a few good stout and sturdy souls:

Wait and hope for and expect the Lord; be brave and of good courage and let your heart be stout and enduring. Yes, wait for and hope for and expect the Lord.  
Psalm 27:14 Amplified

5 comments :

Denise said...

Good post.

Maple Lane said...

Grandpa sure had a way with words......NOT!
Beautiful verse.

Daisy said...

Haha! I expect he did mean it as a compliment, but I'm not sure I would have taken it that way. Thanks for the smile today. :)

Ellie VanCaster said...

I would love to be called stout and sturdy-at this point in my life svelte and simpering holds absolutely no appeal to me. ;-)
Have a good week

Joy said...

Amen to that. :)

Blog Archive