Saturday, May 18, 2013

SAVED FROM WHAT?!

When I went to college in Atlanta in 1967, it was the first time I had my faith challenged. A group of us were painting the exterior of the Baptist Student Center, and a young man passing by asked me, "What did God ever do for you?" 

All I could think of at the moment was, "He saved me."

"Saved you from WHAT?!" he smirked as he and his friends laughed and walked away.

At the moment I was speechless. Later I thought, I know what I should have said! I should have told him I am saved from the punishment that I deserve for breaking God's laws and going my own way.


"What laws?" he might have asked.  Every time I told a lie, stole from someone, hated others, disrespected my parents, or said God's name as a curse word, I sinned against God.

The Bible says,  "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23

"What is SIN?" he might have wondered. Sin is rebelling against God, saying NO to His gift of love through His Son Jesus Christ.

None of us can be perfect! Only a loving God can remove our sin. forgive us, and deliver us from sin’s penalty. There is nothing I can ever do to earn Heaven.

It was Jesus’ death on the cross and His resurrection that made salvation possible. He took the punishment and death that I deserved and gave me forgiveness and a brand new start. Salvation is the free undeserved gift of God.

Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. Romans 3:24

How do I accept God's forgiveness?
If we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.
1 John 1:9

We are saved by faith, and by calling on the name of the Lord. So you will be saved, if you honestly say, "Jesus is Lord," and if you believe with all your heart that God raised him from death. God will accept you and save you, if you truly believe this and tell it to others.
Romans 10:9-10

If I could talk to that young man again, I might calmly ask him, "What would you like for God to do for you?"

5 comments :

Joy said...

Young ones nowadays are not believing the gospel and more and more denied the existence of God. It is scaring. But we dont have to give up. GOD does not:)

Daisy said...

It's not always easy to respond when our faith is challenged, but each time it happens, it gets easier for the next time. I think you are well prepared if it happens again. Nice post!

Maple Lane said...

A beautiful post.

Denise said...

Great post.

Jess said...

And then we must cooperate with the Holy Spirit to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling."
The journey of sanctification is challenging and rewarding, and most of all it pleases our GOD!
We who are saved are new creations, learning to have new priorities, serving Christ by serving others and enjoying the eternal life HE paid so dearly to give us!

Blog Archive