Sunday, May 26, 2013

Remembering Heroes on Memorial Day

The Sovereign Lord has given me his words of wisdom,
so that I know how to comfort the weary.
Morning by morning he wakens me
and opens my understanding to his will.
The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me,
and I have listened.

I have not rebelled or turned away.
I offered my back to those who beat me
and my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard.
I did not hide my face
from mockery and spitting.

Who among you fears the Lord
and obeys his servant?
If you are walking in darkness,
without a ray of light,
trust in the Lord
and rely on your God.
Isaiah 50:4-6, 10 NLT

I know that Isaiah is prophesying about the coming Messiah, and we read about his suffering and death in Matthew 27, but these verses also remind me of our brave soldiers who have sacrificed their lives for the freedoms we hold dear today.

I heard a former prisoner of war in Viet Nam tell about how he spent the lonely years in captivity praying and remembering Bible verses and songs he had learned as a child.

Thank You, Lord Jesus for Your promise that: "The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26 KJV

I pray for those who are serving their country today and for their family members who await their safe return. 

4 comments :

Lady Jane said...

God Bless Them All and you also Karen for your kind heart.

Maple Lane said...

God bless all our servicemen and women today and a heartfelt thank you to those who have served and given so much.

Lynda said...

We had an excellent tribute to our military in worship service today - - excellent music and prayers.

Denise said...

Blessings to all of our heros.

Blog Archive