Saturday, May 11, 2013

My Mother's Favorite Hymn

A young man learned that his mother had become seriously ill, but he was not able to travel the great distance to see her. Wanting so much to comfort her, he penned an inspirational poem called Pray Without Ceasing, and tucked a copy in an envelope with his letter.

Later on, he became ill himself. A friend, sitting by his bedside, caught a glimpse of what appeared to be the scribbled lines of a poem lying on the table, and asked if he could read it.

"Did you write this, Joseph?" the friend questioned.

"The Lord and I did it between us," was the humble answer.

In 1869, the poem for his mother was finally published, along with others, in a simple book entitled, Hymns and Other Verse, by Joseph Scriven. However, the lines to that particular poem have been memorized by millions, and have comforted many who were sick, troubled, or bereaved.

We know it today as, "What a Friend We Have In Jesus".

10 comments :

Karin said...

Love those hymn stories! It's #100 in our nursing home songbook and it's called for all the time! What a blessing!

Karen said...

I love to read the stories behind the hymns...this song is the very first one my Grandmother taught me to play on the piano...special memories....

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Wonderful story,thanks for sharing. It is one of my favorite hymns!

Maple Lane said...

What a great history of this beloved hymn. I know it was one of mother's favorites.

Glenda said...

Thanks for sharing the story behind this beloved hymn that has stood the test of time - just like the One the song describes so well!

Hope you have a good week!

Daisy said...

I love this hymn, Karen. It is one of the favorites I remember from childhood. I have never heard the story behind it before. Thank you for sharing it here.

Glenda said...

I wonder just how many people have been comforted and drawn nearer to Jesus through these timeless words. I'm thankful He's my friend!

Pain to Purpose said...

One of my favorites. Loved the Alan Jackson rendition too! It makes me wonder what other stories are behind our beloved hymns...

Joy said...

Yes! A song that comfortd many. What an inspirationional story:)

Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story. :) Blessings ~

Blog Archive