Saturday, March 2, 2013

Tender Loving Kindness

My brother and I were watching Mighty Mouse on Saturday morning cartoons in 1961. The worst pain of my life hit me in the stomach and I doubled over and could not move or talk. My brother yelled for Mother and she called Daddy in from the yard. He carried me in his arms and slid me into the back seat of the car. I've never again been with anyone driving that fast! We went to the hospital in Marietta, but they could find nothing wrong.

Again and again for many weeks, I would have the incredible pain. I never knew when or where it would start - at school, at church, at a party. People began to wonder if I was "putting on" for attention. Finally a doctor in Atlanta had a hunch that I had chronic appendicitis and scheduled surgery on the chance that he was right.

The morning of my operation, Mother and Daddy were beside my hospital bed. Daddy was nervous and could not stop devouring Krispy Kreme donuts. Mother, who couldn't eat a bite, kept asking him, "How can you eat at a time like this?"

They prayed for me and walked me to the operating room doors. They anxiously waited for word from the surgeon. He told them that the appendix was just about to burst when he removed it.

The doctor and the nurses were very kind, but I will always remember my parents standing over me saying, "If only I could bear this pain for you. I'd much rather go through it myself than to see you suffer."

There is kindness, but then there is tender loving kindness, when someone would willingly sacrifice himself for the good of his loved one.

The Bible describes Jesus this way:
"Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:7-8

8 comments :

Jill said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful reminder, Karen. I'm sorry for the pain you had to endure but it taught you the love of parents and GOD.

Lynda said...

I am so glad your doctor had the wisdom to perform surgery at the time he did. . .. so sorry you had to endure people wondering if you were "faking it". This is an excellent illustration for talking about our precious Lord!

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

I'm glad they decided to try the surgery. You were blessed to have such loving parents.

Theresa said...

Oh what a sweet, yet painful memory! Happy that they listened to your symptoms and got you all fixed up:) We would gladly stand in for our families! Kids, Grandkids, Siblings! Jesus taught us what sacrifice means! Have a blessed weekend, HUGS!

NanaDiana said...

Oh- Yes-if we could only bear the pain for our children just as Jesus bore the pain for us.
My brother's appendix burst and he almost died...and was in the hospital for 17 days. xo Diana

Denise said...

Precious memory, bless you.

Ellie VanCaster said...

What a wonderful story to show a parent's love for their children-just like we are all children of God.

Daisy said...

Sorry to hear of the pain you had to bear, but I'm glad the doctor was able to diagnose what the problem was. We are indeed blessed that Christ bore the pain of our sins for us.

Blog Archive