Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hidden Manna

My grandmother had a metal bread box that sat on her kitchen counter to keep the freshness in and thieving varmints out.

I thought about that bread box as I was reading in Revelation 2:17. Jesus says to the churches: "To him who overcomes (conquers), I will give to eat of the manna that is hidden..." (Remember the "manna" or wafers that God supernaturally provided for the Israelites as they journeyed through the desert to the Promised Land?)

Jesus promises us bread that will not spoil, kept for us in a place where it cannot be stolen.
I believe He is speaking of the "Bread of life". He told his disciples, after he had multiplied the loaves of bread and the fishes for five thousand people, "I am the bread of life." Bread keeps us alive here on earth, but eternal life through Jesus Christ gives us life with Him forever in Heaven.

In the same way that the "Bread of Life" is kept for us, we are kept for Jesus. We are His inheritance and His reward.

4 comments :

Theresa said...

I am thankful for similar memories:) Have a blessed day, HUGS!

L. D. said...

I sometimes think answered prayers are like manna from God as how he answers our need while we persevere and stay faithful in sometimes very difficult situations. Thanks for sharing this post and making me appreciate our God more today.

Daisy said...

This is a lovely post, Karen. I still have one of those old metal bread boxes!

Denise said...

Nice post.

Blog Archive