Sunday, March 17, 2013

Burden or Blessing?

There was a young student nurse who bluntly asked me whether or not I knew that Caleb would have Down syndrome before he was born. She then told me, as if she were the authority on the subject of life and death, that he was a "burden to society" and that he should have been aborted. There is no reason for "these children" to be born, she informed me. I felt very sad for her because she bought into this lie from the pit of hell.

We could ask God about this, and He would tell us that He planned Caleb's life from before the foundation of the world, and that He knew the number of his days before there was one of them.

If we could check in with Caleb right now, I believe he would tell us, "Better is one day in the courts of our God than a thousand elsewhere. No, I have NOT been shortchanged!"

How do we define a "successful" life or a contributing member of society?

We were all created to love and be loved. Are the "handicapped" the ones who don't know that God loves them because He made them, not because they can ever earn His love?

5 comments :

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

Thank you for sharing this. Bless you. I praise the Lord for Caleb's life.

Patsy said...

Poor lost young student nurse!

Denise said...

Bless you for sharing this.

Doris said...

So true....there sre some who would not have allowed our Ellen to be born either. Some would have aborted because of being older (I was 40), already had 5 children, or because it was an unexpected pregnancy. We didn't know she was going to be born with challenges. Has it been easy? No. But, I would never wish her not to be....ever! God does not make mistakes....ever!

Daisy said...

Oh my, what a sad perspective that young nurse had/has on the value of life. I wouldn't want to live life looking at it through her eyes.

Blog Archive