Tuesday, January 8, 2013

You're HOW OLD?!

A while back I was teaching fifth grader math students who needed extra help, I found them reluctant to even open their books. Although I worked the first problem on the board for them, they still wouldn't even copy it on their papers.

The task for the day was coming up with strategies to solve word problems.

Finally, I set the books aside and gave them "real life" problems to come up and write on the overhead. I asked them, "In what year will you be my age, if I was born in 1950?" It made it a little easier that they were born in 2000 :)

They really got interested in asking and answering questions related to the ages of their family members. We ended up with a pretty successful lesson after all.

It amazes me that many of the kids don't know about measurements: cups, quarts, gallons, etc. Then I realized that a lot of families no longer "bake from scratch". Really, that is how we learn anything: DOING rather than just hearing or reading facts off a page.

James 1:22 says, "Be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only."

Lord, teach me to love in word and in deed.

13 comments :

Denise said...

Amen.

Maple Lane said...

Math was my worst subject. Whenever I get stumped these days with something involving math, I can "hear" the words of my high school math teacher: "you are going to need this one day!!!"

A beautiful verse and prayer for today's post, Karen.

NanaDiana said...

Yes- Isn't that amazing, Karen? That was a good lesson for them. And NO ONE knows how to count change back anymore!!! xo Diana

Terri D. said...

I am a fairly new connection here, and I am so happy to have found you! Your posts are always inspirational, and they really just make my day! Thank you!! Today's post is wonderful.

linda eller said...

I believe children learn from personal examples much easier and quicker than just reading black and white words on a page, and you did the best. Have a great Tuesday.

Theresa said...

Great lessons in the classroom using the years they were born:) My little first grade Granddaughter is having a little trouble with Math! I hope that her teacher is creative with her teaching like you! Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

Beth said...

That was a very good idea that you had with the math. I shudder when I see the way a cashier hands me my change without counting it. Could be a mistake for either one of us.

Wanda said...

Oh this was so interesting. What a smart insightful teacher you are.

I did learn at my mother's knee, all those things we had to measure in the kitchen, cooking from scratch. I still do in many ways.

Also heard about a little boy who was struggling with math, until a friends teenage son, related the problem to football, and wow! The kid got it, and it opened a door to understanding.

Sure enjoying your blog.

Dorothy said...

You picked a creative way to teach them! I know teaching must be very hard when children are not interested in learning. My granddaughter, just out of college, started teaching kindergarten this past Fall. She got a rude awakening and was shocked at the lack of discipline these children had been exposed to. It shows a sad lack of training in the home. She was hit with a thrown object and called the B word on the first day at school! God bless teachers!

Lauren Davenport said...

So true!

Ellie VanCaster said...

I wish I had you for a math teacher when I was in school-it was always a struggle for me but doing something like you did would have made it stick in my brain better.

Daisy said...

Nice post! It's true, we only really learn something from doing it and practicing it, not just hearing it.

Cathy said...

A great post, Dear ~ And I love your pretty picture.

Blog Archive