Sunday, January 20, 2013

What Does Your Daddy do?

As kids, a question we were often asked was, "What does your Daddy do?" Well, for several years, our Dad was a mechanic on the city buses in Atlanta. From going out on service calls to repair disabled buses, he came to know the city streets like the back of his hand. When I grew up and began to drive, I knew I could call Daddy for directions to anywhere in metro Atlanta.

As children of God, we need to know exactly what it is that our Heavenly Father does. We also need to be CONFIDENT that He is on our side. He will help us when we call.

I want to tell you a story to show my point.

When I was six years old, our class took a field trip on the bus to Grant Park Zoo in Atlanta. I was excited on my first trip to the zoo and I ran ahead and entered the Lion House. Back then, the lions were housed in small cages. I walked right up to the bars of the cage, and the lion let out a ROAR that echoed through that stone building. I will never forget that deafening sound that paralyzed me with fear!

Sometimes, we face circumstances that are so overwhelming that we are afraid to stand up and do what we know is right. God gave me a picture that if I would stop running away from problems and stand up and face fear, that a hundred angels would stand up with me. Even better than that, my Savior Jesus stands with me, and He is the Lion of the tribe of Judah! Judah means PRAISE. Even when I feel uncertain, as I begin to praise, with my small voice, I have a Heavenly Choir of back-up singers.

Now, back to my question. What does my Heavenly Father do? He's a doctor, a lawyer, a righteous judge, a builder, a warrior, a singer, a dancer, a first responder, a counselor and best friend, just to name a few. He is always on my side, He answers when I call, and He knows which way I should go. His perfect love casts out fear. It is the only thing that does.

12 comments :

Terri D. said...

Excellent, Karen. Amen.

Maple Lane said...

Very comforting words.

Daisy said...

I like this comparison, Karen. Nice job with this post.

Paula said...

Amen!

Paula

Beth said...

A great post. I add Amen too!

Theresa said...

Great story from your childhood that also relates to us as adults! My Daddy was a house painter, a hard working Man of God! He provided a warm home, a garden full of fresh vegetables, a yard full of fresh eggs and he even raised our meat that we ate! Back then, that didn't seem like such a big deal... BUT it sure was! My Heavenly Father provides for me just like my Daddy did:) Thanks for triggering those thoughts on this gorgeous Sunday afternoon! HUGS!

Jill said...

Amen! So beautifully put!

OurSearsKitHome said...

Creator of the universe, Lover of my soul.

Wanda said...

Wow, we have the same Father. That's what my Heavenly Father does too. Are we not Blessed!

Great story. My husband is a retired Pastor. I remember when our son was in 1st grade and the teacher asked Myk what where his Dad worked? Myk, looked a little surprised and said "My Dad doesn't work, he just goes to the Church every day". The teacher laughed when she told me we should inform our son that WAS his work. HaHa.
We lived next door to the church, and of course that's where Don's study was.

Dorothy said...

And isn't that wonderful! The last paragraph says it all!
I hope you have a great new week!

Denise said...

Awesome post.

Lynda said...

Excellent combination of illustration and Bible Truths. Your father is to be admired. It takes a special mind to work on engines. Not everyone can do that.

Blog Archive