Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Warmth of God's Presence

As the nights dip down into the teens, I have had to get out the electric blanket and turn up the heat here in Indiana. I was reminiscing about my favorite spot in Mother's kitchen - by the heat vent.

We had a coal oil furnace in the basement and the kitchen above it was the warmest room in the house. Mother and Daddy always got up at 6 AM. As Mother made biscuits and coffee, I parked myself by the heat with my hands hugging my knees.

My sister Mildred and I liked to sit there together and look through the Sears Roebuck Catalog. We would take crayons and circle every thing we wanted. We believed in "positive thinking"!

As I pictured this scene, the Lord reminded me of the precious promises in His Book. I think I'll get out the Crayolas and underline all the ones I want to claim this year: peace, joy, hope, and the warmth of His presence.

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises.
2 Peter 1:3-4a

11 comments :

Terri D. said...

Those promises are such a blessing! May the peace and grace of our Lord bring you joy and hope, always! Great post this morning!!

linda eller said...

Memories of days gone by are sometimes the sweetest. Thanks for sharing one of yours.

Daisy said...

What a sweet post this is, Karen! I really liked this one. :-)

Lauren Davenport said...

God is good! Thank you for this lovely post.

NanaDiana said...

Our heating vent came up in our living room and I so remember those mornings. We also had a wood cook stove in the kitchen when I was real young. xo Diana

Beth said...

A lovely post!

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

What a wonderful and timely reminder that God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. And thanks for the link to my blog :)

Maple Lane said...

What a sweet post.

KathyB. said...

I can really picture you & Mildred huddling together, and also laughing together. Freshly made biscuits in the morning, wow!What a precious childhood you had.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Karen, I am a first time visitor, who regularly reads your sister, Mildred's posts, so this was like visiting another friend to read your post. Funny that you should mention the Sears Roebuck catalog as I volunteer in a thrift store and came across a Montgomery Ward catalog (1926) way before our time era...but what fascinating memorabilia in these catalogs. Happy new year to yiu!

Denise said...

Wonderful post.

Blog Archive