Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Lord Will Provide

I am studying the covenant names of God. Today I am reading Genesis 22:1-19. where God revealed Himself as Provider.

Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” And he said, “Behold, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” Abraham said, “God will provide for Himself the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”  So the two of them walked on together.

Then they came to the place of which God had told him; and Abraham built the altar there and arranged the wood, and bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” He said, “Do not stretch out your hand against the lad, and do nothing to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”  

Then Abraham raised his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him a ram caught in the thicket by his horns; and Abraham went and took the ram and offered him up for a burnt offering in the place of his son. Abraham called the name of that place
 The Lord Will Provide, 
as it is said to this day, 
“In the mount of the Lord it will be provided.”

Genesis 22:7-14

Thank You, Father God, that You made a way for me when there was no other way than to send Your only Son to die in my place. In mercy and compassion, You have provided for man's greatest needs - forgiveness for our sin, and a personal relationship with You as Father.

14 comments :

Theresa said...

What a wonderful post! God provides for our needs, both physically and spiritually and I am thankful for that! Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

Val said...

Love this!

Ruth said...

I'm so glad my FAther provides! He reached down through Jesus just because he wanted intimacy with ME! Pretty amazing!
Oh, to never take that for granted, or to treat our relationship lightly.
Blessings as you continue to study the names of God.

Wanda said...

Such a powerful illustration of God's power to provide, and just at the right moment.

So thankful for that perfect sacrifical Lamb who died in my place. Thank you Jesus!!

Terri D. said...

As Christians, we are so fortunate to have a loving and giving God. He does provide. We only need to believe.

Lauren Davenport said...

Praise God!

NanaDiana said...

Amen, Karen. Sometimes it is hard to wait on the Lord to provide when you see so many needs that are waiting to be met. xo Diana

Daisy said...

God does provide. He blesses us daily.

Nana Jul said...

Yes...He is Jehovah Jireh - Our Provider!
Everytime!!!
Love
Julie

Connie Arnold said...

Such a powerful story and awesome reminder of how God loves and provides for us!

Dorothy said...

Wonderful scripture! I'm always amazed at Abraham's faith!

Denise said...

Amen, so very true.

Ken said...

Hi Karen,
A few years back I did a study on the covenant names of God and it was such a blessings. It has been on my heart and mind to do another study on this in the near future.
God bless,
Ken

Lynda said...

The Names of God is definitely a powerful study. I am so glad I wasn't Abraham. I am not sure I would have passed that test. We say we trust God to provide but the testing is very, very hard.
- - -and you might realize that I am playing "catch-up" on my blog reading and commenting.

Blog Archive