Saturday, January 19, 2013

Such a Friend!

My brother emailed me a page from our high school yearbook this week. A friend I grew up with had passed away at age 62. It was good to see old familiar faces and to remember childhood friends I had not seen in years.

My sister and I were talking about how "love" and even "friendship" have very different definitions now than when we were teenagers. Eventually, love grows to be more that goosebumps and good times!

I think this verse from the hymn "I've Found a Friend" sums up God's idea of friendship:

I've found a friend
Oh Such a friend
So kind and true and tender
So wise a counselor and guide
So mighty a defender!
From Him who loves me
Now so well
What power my soul can sever?
Shall life or death
Or earth or hell?
No, I am His forever. 

James G. Small


12 comments :

Ellie VanCaster said...

What a nice surprise getting the yearbook-yes, things were different in my time also. I find I have to take things these days with a grain of salt since God doesn't make mistakes.
Have a good weekend.

Maple Lane said...

Wonderful lyrics.

Theresa said...

Oh yes, friends seem to mean so much more as I get older! Have a really blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

Beth said...

Beautiful words!

Yes, things are very different now than they were when I was young.

Mia De Vries said...

Hi Karen
And best of all, this is our Friend that never leaves our side!
Much love
Mia

Wanda said...

I love that song...words to live by. It seems so sad to me that so many of my school mates are gone now.

Daisy said...

The song "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" came to my mind when reading this post, Karen. Very reassuring.

Denise said...

Nice post.

Cathy said...

Beautiful, Dear, thanks for that sweet post.

joy said...

Yes, what a friend we have in Jesus:) happy sunday:)

Jill said...

Yes, times have changed.

Lovely lyrics!

Lynda said...

62 is too young. That's what I just turned this month!

Blog Archive