Sunday, January 27, 2013

Overdrawn?

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love;
give preference to one another in honor;
Romans 12:10 NASB

We had a couple speak at our church who talked about the huge change in their lives since they had chosen to forgive the offenses of the past.

They illustrated the process they had been through by comparing it to being overdrawn at the bank.

I could relate to that! Years ago when debit cards first came out, I bought an item for $30 and had insufficient funds to cover the debit. The bank did not notify me until several days later. By that time, they had charged me a fee for every day that the amount was not covered.

Now I had to replace not only the $30, but the penalties.

The couple said that forgiving the one who has hurt us is like depositing the $30. We then have to compensate for the consequences of our actions, and still, we are only at zero!

In order to get back in "the black", we have to not only forgive and make restitution for our reaction to the offense, but we must begin to HONOR the person.

Lord, Help me to see people through Your eyes, and to honor them because You gave Your Son that we might be forgiven.

4 comments :

Wanda said...

Another wonderful illustration of a Scripture principle.

Linda Dillow in her book, Calm my Anxious Heart, uses the word "Bless Them"...Honor, bless yes that's what we need to do.

Thanks again for your faithful insight to God's Word.

Denise said...

My friend, your posts always bless me, love you.

joy said...

Yes, a good reminder. We need a forgiving attitude everyday, coz often we get offended or hurt:)

Maple Lane said...

Thank you for sharing this. I remember daddy teaching me this so many years ago.

Blog Archive