Friday, February 1, 2013

Howell

When I was a kid, we had a next-door neighbor who was really a worker! In her seventies, she was still constantly working in her yard, and could be seen wearing her sunbonnet, climbing up on the roof to repair shingles.

Whenever she had a big pile of leaves, she would throw a match into it and then go busy herself in the house. Too many times to count, the wind would whip up the flames and the fire would spread to the grass and creep over to our yard.

There was a neighbor who lived behind us named Howell. She would glance out the window and see the flames leaping and we would hear her hollering, "Howell! Howell!" He would come running to try to swat at the flames with a broom. The fire would get away from him and be lapping at the corner of our house and the volunteer firemen would come driving the fire engine across Daddy's prized lawn to put it out.

I was thinking about this in light of our present economic crisis. I am no economist, but it seems to me that our nation was not paying close enough attention to the growing debt. Now the wind has flamed the fire out of control.

Like the lady next door, we are shouting, "Howell!! How-will we ever get out of this mess?"

I am thankful for some leaders who realize that we need to call on Almighty God. It may be too late to rectify the damage that has been done, but it is not too late to strengthen our relationship with God, individually and as a nation, and to turn to HIM in repentance and prayer.

 The Lord God says: 
“I permitted Myself to be sought 
by those who did not ask for Me
I permitted Myself to be found 
by those who did not seek Me. 
I said, ‘Here am I, here am I,’ 
To a nation which did not call on My name.
Isaiah 65:1

17 comments :

NanaDiana said...

You are so very right, Karen. I don't know how we will ever recover what has been "burned up" by this government...but I hope that we can each do our part to rectify what we can. Blessings to you-xo Diana

Wanda said...

Like that heap of leaves...that is a heap of truth, Karen. It so sad that a nation as a whole does not seek or want to know the Almighty God. How I wish we had leaders that would stand up for truth.

You are a sunbean...thank you!

Denise said...

I love everything you share, thank you.

Theresa said...

Wow, that got my attention. Howell is my maiden name:). We are in a jam as a Country. We need God's help to dig our way out. Enjoy your weekend dear friend. Hugs

Lynda said...

I totally agree with you about the debt. It is very scary but what is even scarier is that many in Washington do not feel they have to be accountable to anyone or take responsibility for their actions. They also don't realize the reality of having to give an account to Jesus one day.

Paula said...

I can almost see that neighbor lady climbing that ladder! Great comparison with those fires and today's economy, I think you hit the nail on the head!

Paula said...

Brilliant comparison! I think you nailed it right on the head. Btw..I can almost see that neighbor lady climbing her ladder!

NanaDiana said...

I thought I had responded earlier...I do wonder HOW WILL we ever get out of this mess! I know we each need to do our part as best we can. It seems our nation moves further from God all the time- xo Diana

Dorothy said...

We are in a mess, indeed! I hope we will turn back to God and the right before we go over the cliff.

Doris said...

Yes, indeed! It's not too late to call on His name. I must constantly keep the state of this nation in perspective with God's promisces for his people.....otherwise, I become too distraught!

Blessings to you, Karen!

Jill said...

So true. So true.

Lady Jane said...

This analogy sure fits...

Vintagesouthernlife said...

I share your concern for our country and pray that our country will turn to him and that he will heal our land. Only his grace and mercy will get us through the mess we have allowed ourselves to get in.

bettyl said...

I agree, whole-heartedly, with your post. Nicely written.

Ken said...

Awesome analogy Karen with the fire and our nations debt. The debt keeps on building and very few people want to do anything to change it. It will have its day of reckoning. I don't know that there is even a human solution either. This nations needs to turn to God in repentance and start following Him, and His ways and let Him restore our land.
Blessings,
Ken

Pamela said...

This burning bundle of our economy seems bent on destruction. So thankful our relationship with our Lord doesn't depend on the economy or political decisions. I'm praying our country will find God, even though they are not seeking Him.

Just Be Real said...

Karen, blessings to you.

Blog Archive