Friday, December 14, 2012

Saved the Day

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree
Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.
Robert Frost

I love poetry and I am in awe of Robert Frost's ability to paint such a vivid picture with one sentence comprised of 34 words! As I pictured his frown being turned upside down by an unexpected shower of snow, I remembered an experience from years gone by.

I can remember several instances, when the kids were all at home, when there was family tension or teenage "crises" and then something unexpected would happen and everyone would dissolve into laughter.

One day we had a rare April snow in Georgia. I was anxiously trying to get everybody ready and out the door to be on time for some event. My husband and kids were in the car (or so I thought). I rushed out the storm door right into a volley of snowballs from every direction! This was WAR! After I attempted revenge with a few snowballs of my own, we arrived a little late - looking worse for wear - but in a much happier mood!

A merry heart does good like a medicine.
Proverbs 17:22

7 comments :

Denise said...

Awesome.

Maple Lane said...

What a cute story! Hope you have a nice weekend.

NanaDiana said...

I can remember times like that, too. I love it, don't you? For my 40th birthday party the kids had a food fight at the table and pelted me with food- at first I was going to be mad and then saw the humor in it.

Robert Frost is one of my favorites. My father read me poetry from as early as I can remember- xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

Ummmm..did I know that Mildred was your sister? If I did, I forgot. I love Mildred, too. xo Diana

Terri D. said...

Those are the wonderful memories that make a family and keep us going. Awesome story!!

Cathy said...

a cute story ~ thanks for sharing it, Dear

Daisy said...

Very cute story! A sense of humor goes a long way in making the day brighter.

Blog Archive