Sunday, December 9, 2012

Household "Tools"

There was a time when my husband bought old houses, and remodeled them to sell. He also owned houses and offices that he rented out had to keep up. When it came time to make repairs at home, even though he had a truck full of tools, he was a bit reluctant!

I understood a little better, when I owned a flower and gift shop. After decorating and gift-wrapping for customers in town, even though I had bolts of wrapping paper and ribbon, I handed out Christmas presents to my loved ones in paper bags. I look back on this with regret, but I could not stand the sight of any more red and green!

Once our ladies' Bible class teacher reminded me that the "tools" I am given from God's Word need to be used first and foremost at home in my own life, before I can go out and share them with others.

Father,

Help me to honor those people who are closest to me, be thankful for them, and look for the good.

....Meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. 
Philippians 4:8

6 comments :

Jessica said...

Great analogy! I was a restaurant general manager for about 15 years. I never cooked :-)
May it be that that never happens in our walk with the Lord.

NanaDiana said...

That is so true. I think when something is your "job" it is hard to do it for "fun" or "help" at home- Blessings- xo Diana

Maple Lane said...

I know sometimes after cooking/baking all day, I just want to go out to eat!! A beautiful prayer you have shared.

Terri D. said...

Your teacher was right, but we all do as you did. When I owned my little cake bakery, cake and icing was the last thing I wanted to mess with at home. When our sons were getting married and asked me to do their wedding cakes, I (of course) said YES, but I got no joy from it - and I regret that, as you do the unwrapped gifts. We do need to be charitable and loving FIRST at home. I've made some changes along those lines, but still regress occasionally. We are human, after all. Forgiveness is a blessing.

Denise said...

Amen, lovely thoughts.

Annmarie Pipa said...

love your prayer...and the Scripture quote!