Friday, December 21, 2012

A Penny for Each Year

When I graduated to the primary class in Sunday School, there was a little church "bank" and the kids would put in five pennies when they turned five. Then the class would sing Happy Birthday to them.

With my December birthday, it seemed everyone else had already celebrated their big day and mine would never come! So one Sunday, I collected pennies from under the couch cushions at home and slipped them in my purse. When I got to Sunday School, I fibbed and told Ms. Lounette: "Today's my burf-day!"

Sadly for me, she worked at the same department store with my Mom, and she remembered well the day I was born. BUSTED!

Well, yesterday I officially "HIT 62".

I'm not sure that little bank would hold that many pennies!

Thanks to my YOUNGER sister Mildred, the news got out. Thank you for all the good wishes.

7 comments :

Daisy said...

I hope you had a nice birthday! We had a little church-shaped bank to put pennies in on our birthdays at our church when I was a child too!

Maple Lane said...

You will need a big bank now! haha

NanaDiana said...

Karen- Happy Happy Birthday to you! I have a Dec. birthday, too. I am a year older than you! xo Diana

Carol OurSearsKitHome said...

Perhaps that's one of the things younger sisters are for!
She didn't tell your age, though.
Hope it was a specially wonderful day!

Denise said...

So glad you are in the world, love you.

Ken said...

I hope you had a happy birthday Karen and I pray you and your family has a Merry Christmas.
Ken

Terri D. said...

I'm sorry to be late with my birthday wishes, but they come with wishes for a great year ahead! I just 'hit' 61, so we are of the same generation! Happy Birthday a little late!