Saturday, October 20, 2012

Offended!

This past week, I was having a wonderful time in God's Word, when I was interrupted by someone who said something very cruel and totally untrue about one of my family members. In an instant, I went from "cloud nine" to the pit! I felt like my whole day would be ruined.

I was still furious about it when my grandchild arrived for a visit. She noticed my open Bible beside my chair and began intently turning each page. "What are you looking for?" I asked with smile, knowing she cannot read at age 3.

"I want to see Jesus!" she told me.

"My Bible doesn't have pictures," I explained. She kept turning and found a slip of paper that I had tucked between the pages a while back. She handed it to me. In my own handwriting, it said, "Don't become offended!"

Later I thought about the fact that all of us have done wrong. All have been guilty before God. All of us suffer from anxiety and fear and unforgiveness. All of us have a choice to stay in our mess or accept the peace Jesus has provided for us through His sacrifice.

He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole. Isaiah 53:5 Amplified

Then I heard a song:
O Lord, Your tenderness
Melting all my bitterness.
O Lord, I receive Your love.
Graham Kendrick (click author's name to listen)

10 comments :

Denise said...

Bless you dear one.

Maple Lane said...

A lovely post this morning.

Jill said...

This post gave me goosebumps! Children are so wise. Thank you for sharing it!

Sharon Evans said...

That is amazing, the holy spirit was definitely at work, wonderful post.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

Jocelyn @
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

bettyl said...

I have learned that my own words will be my accuser, too! Great post.

Daisy said...

Isn't it amazing how we come to hear the messages that we need to hear right when we need to hear them? I hope you have a lovely day today, Karen. :)

Sarah (Nikki) said...

Wow Karen...I love how God used your little grand-dgt to remind you of that truth....

Awesome post!!!

Pamela said...

Brings the verse, "A little child shall lead them" to reality. I believe the enemy is working overtime. I wrote a post on the fruit of the Spirit Friday and Saturday I was flooded with anger over someone who hurt a friend of mine. Anger is almost foreign to me and it was only for a few minutes but I believe it was enemy making a mockery of my desire for God's fruit to grow in my life.

Ruth said...

My husband and I are leading a class right now at church on conflict resolution. Last night was themed on forgiveness. It is not natural to forgive offenses, but I am glad God enables us. And when I focus on how much and how he's forgiven me, what else can I do? One thing we talked about was saying, "sure I'll forgive you, but I won't ever be close to you again". Then the difficult question-'what if God treated me like that?' I'm so glad he doesn't. Help me, Lord, to love and forgive like you do. Thanks for sharing such a great illustration of how God helps us when we need his grace.
Blessings to you.

Blog Archive