Monday, October 1, 2012

Filled With His Spirit

The prophet Elisha asked the widow, "What do you have in your house?"

She replied, "NOTHING - but a jar of oil!"Elisha told the woman to gather empty jars from her neighbors - as many as she could get. (2 Kings 4) He told her to pour out what she had into those empty jars. Her container of oil did not run dry until every jar was filled.

Sometimes I also focus on what I can't do rather than what I've been given. In the Bible, oil often represents the Holy Spirit. Jesus promised to send the Spirit to live in the hearts of those who believe in Him. I have the Holy Spirit living in me!



8 comments :

Daisy said...

I think we all fall into that trap sometimes of focusing on our limitations. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." That's the verse that came to my mind on reading your post today, Karen.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
:-)

Ken said...

I too focus on what I can't do or do not have. We need to use what we have been given for His glory. Thank God we have His spirit living in us!

Blessings,
Ken

Sarah (Nikki) said...

Me too Karen...I often feel like I got nothing yet...what you wrote is a reminder having the HS living in me means I have everything. Thanks for this beautiful post and reminder.

Maple Lane said...

Very comforting words. Wishing you many blessings today.

Beverly said...

Thank you for sharing this story. It has always been a favorite for me.

Where there is faith there is always hope.

Annesphamily said...

Hi Karen! Your words touched all of the same way today! What a beautiful and thoughtful post. IT was good to visit you here and I wish you a beautiful week filled with many blessings. Hugs Anne

Pamela said...

Not only do we sometimes limit ourselves, we also limit the Holy Ghost. Lots for me to think about...

bettyl said...

That story always intrigued me. I wonder how long that oil lasted for her. It's hard sometimes, but we should all focus on the positive instead of the negative.

Blog Archive