Saturday, September 29, 2012

Stuck

One scorcher of a day when my daughter was small, we decided to walk up to Main Street. We did not realize that crews had so recently repaved our street with hot asphalt. Kathren's shoes got stuck in the sticky tar, and she was not strong enough to free herself. I can still picture her little panic-stricken face! Fortunately, I was able to lift her and carry her to the safety of the sidewalk.

I remembered that scene as I was reading Isaiah 30. Verse 15 says, "Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved." I learned that the word saved in this verse means the opposite of stuck. The Hebrew word yasha paints a picture of being in a spacious place, free to move. When I make hasty decisions and ignore God's leading, I can quickly find myself stuck.

The word "trust" in this verse means "there is nothing more I can do". When I admit my error, and call out to my Heavenly Father, I must wait for Him to bring the victory.

So the Lord must wait for you to come to him
so he can show you his love and compassion.

For the Lord is a faithful God.Blessed are those who wait for his help.
Isaiah 30:18

Thank you, God, that you are a compassionate Father who longs to be gracious to us.

2 comments :

Mildred said...

Beautiful verse Karen.

Wanda said...

Thanks for sharing, Karen. I can get myself in stuck in quite a few places.